This site contains affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, I earn a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you. Full Disclosure Here.
As smug as we may feel about our own prepping efforts, sometimes there is still a tendency to procrastinate a bit with one thing or another. I am not pointing any fingers, mind you, since I too fall victim of being overwhelmed by it all. The disorganized array of my food storage is just one case in point. I still don’t have a good inventory so what do I do? I just buy more. Stupid, I know.
Still, for the most part, I keep plugging away, knowing that the economy is in shambles in spite of what our leaders say. The planet is becoming increasingly unstable with weird weather patterns and a proliferation of 100 year storms or worse. Governments are becoming secretive and Gestapo-like, spying on citizens and there is the insidious removal of our constitution rights.
Things, to me, are unsettling yet most people I know still see no need to start prepping at all. Heck, they think being prepared is having five gallons of water and a dozen cans of tuna.
That brings me to the topic of today’s article: “50 Excuses for Not Prepping”.
A while back, Michael Snyder came up with this list of excuses that people use when they say there is no need to prepare. Talk about some cockamamie excuses. I hope you will read through the list yourself if for no other reason than to recognize that there are those around you that are ignorant.
THE TOP 50 REASONS FOR NOT PREPPING
1. The U.S. Economy Is The Greatest Economy On The Planet – There Is No Way That It Could Ever Collapse
2. Once Barack Obama Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better (Gaye’s note: This one as well as #4 are a bit dated but the concept is still valid.)
3. Once Mitt Romney Wins The Election Everything Will Be Better
4. When Things Get Really Bad The Government Will Take Care Of Us
5. When Disaster Strikes I Will Just Steal From Everyone Else That Has Been Busy Preparing
6. The Rapture Will Be At Any Moment So I Don’t Have To Worry About Prepping
7. The Economy Has Always Recovered After Every Recession In The Past And This Time Will Be No Different
8. The People That Are Running Things Are Very Highly Educated And They Know Exactly What They Are Doing
9. Wal-Mart Will Always Be There
10. Our Politicians Are Watching Out For Our Best Interests
11. The 2012 Apocalypse Is Almost Here And We Are All Doomed Anyway – So Why Even Try?
12. Preppers Do Not Have A Positive Mental Attitude
13. If An Economic Collapse Comes I Will Just Go On Welfare
14. There Are Some Things You Just Can’t Prepare For
15. Prepping Is Too Expensive
16. We Are Not Like Other Countries – U.S. Cities Are Designed To Withstand Major Earthquakes
17. I Need To Save Up For Retirement Instead
18. The Stock Market Has Been Soaring So Why Worry?
19. I Don’t Have Room To Store Anything
20. Prepping Is For Crazy People
21. I Don’t Believe In Conspiracy Theories
22. All The Food I Store Is Going To Go Bad
23. I Would Rather Spend My Time Watching American Idol
24. All The People Who Freaked Out About Y2K Look Really Foolish Now, Don’t They?
25. I Don’t Want To Look Like Those Idiots On ‘Doomsday Preppers’
26. An EMP Attack Could Never Happen
27. There Will Never Be A Nationwide Transportation Disruption In The United States
28. Instead Of Being So Paranoid, I Would Rather Just Enjoy Life
29. If Society Falls Apart I Wouldn’t Want To Continue To Live Anyway
30. There Will Never Be Another World War
31. I’m Too Lazy To Grow A Garden
32. If You Assume The Worst Is Going To Happen Then You Don’t Believe In America
33. Deficits Don’t Matter
34. I’ll Always Be Able To Get A Job In My Field
35. If There Is A Financial Collapse All Of My Debts Will Be Wiped Out So I Might As Well Live It Up Now
36. If Things Hit The Fan I Will Just Go Move In With My Relatives Who Have Been Busy Prepping
37. Those That Believe That There Will Be Massive Riots In American Cities Someday Are Just Being Delusional
38. My Spouse Would Think That I Have Finally Lost It
39. I Don’t Know Where To Start
40. I’ll Just Deal With Problems As They Arrive
41. I Don’t Have To Prepare For A Natural Disaster – That Is What FEMA Is For
42. We’ll Never See Martial Law In The United States
43. I Don’t Want To Scare My Children
44. Once I Get Rid Of All My Debt Then I Will Start Thinking About Prepping
45. My Relatives Already Think That I Am A Nut Job – I Don’t Need To Make It Any Worse
46. If People At Work Find Out That I Am Prepping It Could Hurt My Career
47. If There Really Was A Good Reason To Prepare They Would Tell Us About It On The News
48. People Have Been Predicting Doom And Gloom For Years And It Hasn’t Happened Yet
49. The United States Is The Greatest Nation On Earth – There Is No Way That It Could Collapse
50. I Don’t Plan On Becoming A Card Carrying Member Of The Tin Foil Hat Brigade
THE FINAL WORD
I don’t need to tell you that the vast majority of people simply assume that things will always work themselves out or that they will magically be immune to whatever crisis or calamity is headed our way.
I know that is foolish and so do you. Alas, we may not be able to get the ignorant and the naysayers to change their minds, but most certainly we can protect ourselves and our families from them if the SHTF and they come after us and our preps.
What can you do? Make sure you home is secure and that one way or another, you have some way to defend yourself and your family. Keep a low profile and do not brag about what you have stored away in terms of food, water and gear. Most of all, keep the faith and stay cautiously optimistic that the stuff will never hit the fan.
Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!
If you have not done so already, please be sure to like Backdoor Survival on Facebook to be updated every time there is an awesome new article, news byte, or free survival, prepping or homesteading book on Amazon.
Spotlight Item: The Beginning Of The End: This is Michael Snyder’s first novel. If you want to know what things in America are going to look like in a few years, This is the book to read. It is a mystery/thriller set in the United States in the near future. Need I say more?
Bargain Bin: Couple being a good neighbor and with strong primary defenses and you have a winning combination. Here are some items to consider as you build up your fortress.
Dorcy LED Wireless Motion Sensor Flood Lite: This light is awesome. I use mine downstairs as well as on my stairway and when I get up in the middle of the night, they come on automatically. They are quite unobtrusive and give off a ton of light. Runs for a year on 3 D size batteries.
Uniden Bearcat 200-Channel Portable Scanner: A hand scanner with ham band that is very portable.
Midland 36-Mile 50-Channel FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios: These are the handheld radios that I own. There are lots of good uses for the these radios. Handy while hiking, traveling, or simply keeping in touch with your partner while out shopping. They are waterproof – a quality that I feel is important. Plus, in addition to using the included rechargeable batteries, they can use regular AAs in a pinch. Note: the true range for this type of radio is actually 4 to 6 miles, regardless of brand. Don’t be fooled.
Two-Way Radios and Scanners For Dummies: I will say it again. Yes, I love these books for “dummies” even though I actually think I am quite smart.
Sabre Family Home & Property Protection Pepper Spray: This small fire extinguisher-style pepper spray delivers a strong blast covering an entire doorway. Offering extremely practical protection, SABRE provides distance from your threat with its 30 foot range. I like that it includes a wall mount.
Security Decals – 4 Pack: Security surveillance camera system warning decals/stickers. Increase security whether you have a system or not -no one will know but you.
Motorola FRS/GMRS Two-Way Radios: Another option to consider. There are lots of good uses for the these radios. Handy while hiking, traveling, or simply keeping in touch with your partner while out shopping.
Keypad Deadbolt: Need a good strong lock? With this, you will never have to worry about locking yourself out plus, you can secure the deadbolt from inside the house.
The monthly specials at Emergency Essentials feature discounts of up to 35% off sometimes a bit more. I have a monthly budget and each month I add a bit more FD products to my long term storage – always making my selection from sale items.
There are a lot new items that are put on sale each month – be sure to take a look.
Note: I earn a small commission on your purchase making this a great way to support Backdoor Survival which will always be free to everyone.
Like this and want more?
Spread the Word – Tell your friends: Share Backdoor Survival with your friends. All you need to do to send them a short email. Now that was easy!
I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here.
Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!