For the past six weeks, I have been exploring alternatives to over-the-counter ointments, salves, and beauty products. Not only are these products expensive, but as I have learned time and time again, they don’t always work.
Starting with a basic formula for healing salve that I found on the internet, I decided to make my own all-purpose salve and to test it on various ailments to see how it worked. I added a bit of this, subtracted a bit of that and came up with I call my own Miracle Healing Salve. The funny thing is that when the final results came in, the formula that worked the best as an all-purpose salve was a version included the same blend essential oils I have been using for muscle aches these past ten plus years. Go figure.
As easy as this Miracle Healing Salve is to make – and it is easy – it just works. I will share some of the uses that I have become ecstatic about but first, the recipe.
Miracle Healing Salve – The Recipe
1 Cup Coconut Oil (not fractionated)
1 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
5 Tbl. Organic Beeswax Pastilles
8 each 2 ounce jars or containers ** OR **
4 each 4 ounce mason jars
1. Put a pot of water on the stove to simmer. While the water is heating, put the coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax pastilles in a heatproof jar or measuring cup.
2. Set the jar filled with the coconut oil, olive oil, and wax into the water and leave it there until it melts, giving it a stir from time to time. You want a slow, gentle melt so take your time. It could take 15 or 20 minutes depending on the temperature of the water bath.
3. While the ingredients are melting, drop your essential oils into each of the containers. Hint: I have found that it is easier to use a glass medicine dropper than the dropper that comes with the bottle of essential oil. This is optional and a matter of personal preference.
4. Pour the melted oils into each of the smaller jars containing essential oils. There is no need to stir unless you want to since the oils will mix up on their own.
5. Cover the jars with a paper towel or cloth and set them aside for up to 24 hours. Although the salve will start to firm up within minutes, it takes at least 12 hours to complete the firming process. (The purpose of the cover is to keep out dust, bugs and other nasties that may be floating around.)
A Word About the Ingredients
Coconut oil is a natural moisturizer and is antibacterial. Olive oil is chock full of anti-oxidants and has anti-inflammatory properties.
Lavender is a natural antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal and antiseptic. It is a master healer that also helps to prevent scaring. Rosemary is also antiseptic and an excellent treatment for muscle aches. Peppermint is an anti-inflammatory and is also antiseptic. Are you seeing a pattern here?
The optional Vitamin E is an antioxidant and is also used as a natural preservative.
10 Ways (So Far) to Use Miracle Healing Salve
These are the ways I have used this salve with success. I am sure there are others that are yet to be discovered but these make a darn good start!
1. Hand and foot moisturizer: An unbelievably emollient hand and foot moisturizer. No more dry hands and feet.
2. Relief for nocturnal foot and muscle cramps (rub on the bottom of your feet and on your calves before going to bed – this really works!)
3. Eliminates symptoms of eczema and psoriasis: With the addition of 5 to 10 drops of Melaleuca oil (tea tree) to a jar of Miracle Salver, the patch of psoriasis on Shelly’s elbow has all but disappeared. In the past he has tried everything including diet changes and prescription drugs. It has taken about 3 weeks for the Miracle Healing Salve to do its thing. Gone are the ugly crusty patches.
4. Antiseptic Ointment for life’s little bumps and bruises: Instead of Neosporin, reach for Miracle Healing Salve to both soothe and heal cuts and scrapes.
5. Promotes healing of scars: Slather the Miracle Salve over new scars and watch them heal in days rather than weeks. You can barely see the scar from my recent surgery. It is no longer tender, red and angry looking.
6. Makeup Remover: Smear on your face the wipe away your makeup with a damp washcloth.
7. Facial moisturizer and serum: Yes, really. You would think it would be greasy but the oils absorb quickly and leave your face with a nice, dewy texture.
8. Cuticle and nail conditioner: No more ragged cuticles or dry, splitting nails. This is a byproduct of being diligent about #2. It just happened without my realizing it.
8. Hair serum: A few drops liquefied in your palms and then smoothed over your hair will leave it shiny and less fly-away.
10. Relieve pet scratching and itching: Tucker the Dog was scratching himself in one spot on his belly so I put a little Miracle salve on the spot and a couple of days later he stopped. Was it the smell, the healing properties or just a coincidence? I don’t know but it worked.
Items replaced by Miracle Healing Salve
The Final Word
You have not heard the last of this. In addition to Miracle Healing Salve, I have made batches of Tea Tree Skin Ointment and Lemon Salve. These are themes of the basic formula that were put together to take advantage of the specific properties of oils used in their formulation. I am also experimenting with an infusions of dried oregano and olive oil.
As with all things at Backdoor Survival, I am testing first posting later. Stay tuned!
Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!
If you have not done so already, please be sure to like Facebook which is updated every time there is an awesome new article, news byte, or link to a free survival, prepping or homesteading book on Amazon. You can also follow Backdoor Survival on Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+.
Spotlight: After a ton of research, I am now using essential oils from Spark Naturals for wellness purposes. There are a lot reasons one of which is there commitment to both quality and value.
My recommendation is the Health and Wellness kit which includes all of my favorites or, if you are just getting started, the Essential 4 Pack which includes Lavender, Lemon, Melaleuca (Tea Tree) and Peppermint. Be sure to use the discount code “BACKDOORSURVIVAL” to receive a 10% discount.
Bargain Bin: Here are some links to items used to create custom-crafted Miracle Healing Salve.
Beeswax Organic Pastilles, Yellow, 100% Pure 16 Oz: I ordered the white pastilles but have since learned that the natural yellow pastilles are better. That said, the difference may not be discernable – just be sure that what you purchase is cosmetic grade.
Glass Droppers, Pack of 6: I bought a package of these and loved them. When I went to re-order, I accidentally ordered plastic instead glass droppers. Learn from my mistake. The price is the same go get the glass ones.
NOW Foods Essential Oils: My salves were made using essential oils from Spark Naturals. My sniff test tells me they are stronger and more pure smelling. For healing purposes, I feel they are superior. On the other hand, NOW Foods has decent essential oils at a budget price: NOW Foods Rosemary Oil, NOW Foods Peppermint Oil and Now Foods Lavender Oil.
Nutiva Certified Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil: So far I am pleased with the Nutiva Coconut Oil. It is pure-white, USDA-certified-organic, extra-virgin coconut oil that is cold-pressed from fresh coconuts within two hours of chopping. No refrigeration is required and although it solid at room temperature, it melts at 76 degrees. I was able to easily liquefy a small amount and put it in a 4 ounce squeeze bottle where I re-liquefy by putting this smaller bottle in a glass of hot tap water. I paid $26.99 which included free shipping.
Kirkland Signature Extra Virgin Olive Oil, 2 Liters (Product of Italy): If you have a Costco close by, get it their. Otherwise, you can use this or any other quality extra virgin olive oil.
The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy: I first became interested in aromatherapy and essential oils in the early 90s which was before they really became mainstream. I read every book I could get my hands on and dabbled at creating synergy’s (a combination of two or more oils that create a chemical compound that is greater than the some of its individual components). My bible then, and even now, is this book.
Although I have plenty of flashlights and batteries (you might even say I have a flashlight fetish) I also stay stocked up with a dozen of these Clear Mist 100 Hour Plus Emergency Candles as well. For the best deal, purchase a dozen at a time to get a discounted price. Be sure to also check out the Clear Globe attachment.
Like this and want more?
Need something from Amazon (and who doesn’t)? I earn a small commission from purchases made when you begin your Amazon shopping experience here. You still get great Amazon service and the price is the same, no matter what.
Help support Backdoor Survival. Purchases earn a small commission and for that I thank you!