An electromagnetic pulse or EMP, is an abrupt burst of electromagnetic radiation.
What causes an EMP? To start with, certain types of high energy explosions, such as a nuclear explosion, will surely cause an EMP. Likewise, an EMP can be the result of a suddenly fluctuating magnetic field. Or, as I have mentioned before, it can be the result of Coronal Mass Eject (CME) from solar activity. But perhaps most sobering of all, is the possibility of a man-made EMP weapon that is purposely deployed in order to wreak devastation on our planet. Scary stuff.
Regardless of the trigger, an EMP can be devastating to the power grid, resulting in rapidly changing electrical fields that can create fluctuating electrical currents and wild voltage surges. Bottom line? The electronic gizmos we have come to rely on would be toast. The microchips would be fried or so severely damaged that they would become useless.
So what would life be like following a massive EMP event or episode? There would be no power, no transportation systems, no communication systems, no banking, no internet, and, no surprise, no food and no water delivery systems. This would truly be an End of The World As We Know it situation.
Ask yourself these questions:
- What if the power went out and never came back on? Could you fend for yourself?
- Could you keep yourself warm in the winter and cool in the summer?
- Where would you find food?
- What would you use for money if credit cards and ATM’s no longer worked?
- How would you get from one place to another without transportation?
- How would you wash your clothes?
- How would you keep yourself healthy if sanitation systems were no longer functional and medicine could no longer be manufactured.
- And the biggest question of all, how would you communicate with the rest of the world?
An electromagnetic pulse could potentially fry the vast majority of all the microchips in the United States. In an instant, nearly all of our electronic devices would be rendered useless.
Back in 2004 the Wall Street Journal wrote:
“No American would necessarily die in the initial attack, but what comes next is potentially catastrophic. The pulse would wipe out most electronics and telecommunications, including the power grid. Millions could die for want of modern medical care or even of starvation since farmers wouldn’t be able to harvest crops and distributors wouldn’t be able to get food to supermarkets. Commissioner Lowell Wood calls EMP attack a “giant continental time machine” that would move us back more than a century in technology to the late 1800s.”
Now you know that I am not a doom and gloomer. Quite the contrary. I am an optimist to the nth degree. Yet even the optimist is sobered at the ramifications of an EMP and especially at the prospect of a weapon-based EMP.
And so we prepare. And we prepare some more. It quite possibly could be an obsession. But we just can’t stop since the ramifications of not being prepared could mean sickness, starvation, and even death. Most certainly the government will not be there to take care of us and even if they tried, well, let’s just say that the power dudes will be so busy protection their own that there will be little attention paid to the blokes in trenches.
This is a call for Prepper’s to unite in spirit! Here is what you can do:
- Learn to grow food in whatever area you have available. Try hydroponics or a square foot garden. They work in limited spaces.
- Create multiple backup water systems using a combination of stored water and filtration systems.
- Learn to cook outdoors over an open fire.
- Seek out like minded folks that will barter for things they need in return for items that you have available.
- Put up defense systems to protect your homestead.
- Take up hobbies that require no money and no electronic do-dads to keep you entertained.
- And, for goodness sake, store away at least year’s worth of basic, nutritious foods that will get you by while you are learning to survive under the most trying of circumstances.
The prepper movement is exploding and if you are reading this article, you are either part or that explosion or getting ready to hop on board and hit the ground running. Educate yourself, stock up on essentials, learn to be self sufficient, and prepare for the worst with a positive mindset.
I hope an EMP never happens. But if it does, I want to be ready to fend for myself and to continue to live a rich and rewarding life in spite of it all.
Enjoy your next adventure through common sense and thoughtful preparation!
Emergency Essentials is your source for all things preparedness, from prepackaged foods to water barrels, to first aid kits.
From the Bargain Bin: Survival is all about learning to fend for yourself. Growing your own food, cooking and building stuff are all essential. Here are some ideas to get you started.
SOG Specialty Knives & Tools M37-N SEAL Pup: This highly rated knife will do it all whether you are an avid hiker, hunter, camper, fisherman or just someone who wants to be prepared for whatever the world will throw at you.
Rothco 550lb. Type III Nylon Paracord: As far as I am concerned, paracord ranks up there with duct tape and zip ties. I wish I had know about this stuff years ago.
Fiskars 7855 8-Inch Hatchet: I think a common mistake is to pick up a cheap hatchet from Harbor Freight and call it a day. This is something you do not want to skimp on. A Fiskars is easily sharpened and will last a lifetime. For less than $25, what is not to like? Oh, and while you are at it, you might also like the Fiskars Axe & Knife Sharpener for an additional $10.
MAGLITE XL50-S3016 LED Flashlight: I own a number of these. Small, sturdy, and easy to handle.
Square Foot Gardening: You do not need a lot of space to grow your own food. Start with some awesome greens and branch out from there. This method works. Seed catalogs will be out next month, why not start your planning now?
Lodge Logic 12-Inch Pre-Seasoned Skillet: This purchase changed the way I cook. I se my cast iron cookware for everything from salmon, to bacon and eggs, to biscuits. For under $20, there is no excuse not to own this survival basic. Don’t forget the Lodge Set of 2 Pan Scrapers, a must have for cleaning those food bits from your cast iron cookware.